31 August, 2010

It's true that everyone will be disabled. But everyone will also depart from being heteronormative at some point, and that means fuck all to people who are actually queer or trans all the time. It really warms my heart to see trans people whose lives are actually affected in a big way by being trans snarking on college students who don't believe gender is real and use trans identity/presentation as an accessory to be donned and dropped. And I've been in environments where talking the way I'm talking is seen as a shitty thing to do, but I don't care. Sure I'm policing people's identities. That's because some people's identities are stupid.

I remember being told that disability is the one identity category we will all embody, but that is not true. Or sure it is, if you stretch the word disability until it's meaningless. But right now, a lot of people are spending a lot of money to try to find the gene that makes people like me, and if that isn't the case for you, you can shut up and stop telling me that disability is ~socially constructed~. Only you would think that proving something is socially constructed is the same as proving you and I are equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment