16 March, 2010

another thing not to say on livejournal

(which in this case I managed to suppress)

If you've never heard the word "ableism" or "disablism" before, then maybe you aren't going to be as good as identifying it as someone like me who is interested in ableism and thinks about it a lot. Of course you could argue that I'm hypersensitive to it because it's frequently on my mind, but even if I get some false positives, you're still probably going to be getting almost completely false negatives because it's just not in your frame of reference. I mean, if someone from an English-speaking country had never heard the word "tiger" before, would you expect them to be able to tell if something was a tiger?

1 comment:

  1. The last sentence made me giggle, I don't know why but I just found that incredibly funny (and tried not to take it literally.. cause i was going to say something like ".. who has never heard of a tiger?! you learn about animals.. and tigers are so cool looking.." >_>, but yeah.. really.. research sometimes is a lot of fun when it comes to terms and stuff so you know what to look out for.

    And you should totally friend me back on livejournal btw. xP hahaha.

    ReplyDelete