06 October, 2010

watching Huge AND writing a paper

This is seriously like the best TV show I've ever seen. Like it's too bad it was canceled and everything, but I can't believe it was ever on TV.

LOVE Alistair especially when he was pretending to be a cat. But he's also just very dear to me because of the whole trope of queer and gender-variant characters always being really "sassy" and brave...I almost feel like it's a form of homophobia, this assumption that we can take care of ourselves, even as children/teenagers, so don't worry about supporting us. I love that he is very guileless (seriously my fictional diagnostics fingers are twitching) and is a person you feel protective of. [eta: oh man when he was saying he couldn't shower with the other guys my heart just completely fell out of my chest and started dripping goo all over the floor. Poor kid.]

Really love Becca, wish she was a real person and a little bit older and went to my school. She clearly is possibly gay right? "Well, I don't know, I don't know any lesbians my age." What kind of straight person thinks about something like that when asked if someone seems gay?

my only complaint: [just kidding, was wrong. show is best show.]

10 comments:

  1. I think it's a little bit of 'not Jewish, don't know what you're talking about.' Ian was the name of three boys in my Hebrew School class, and I don't know how much his religion would come through at a secular summer camp--I certainly didn't bring it up that much, as a fairly stereotypical high holidays Jew, yet I know a lot of boys/girls that wear stars of david or chai or hamsas every day and are what you would call secular or cultural Jews. Since it's consistent, and I don't think he could even go to the camp if he were super observant, since I'm sure the food isn't kosher and they would have enough trouble with their meal plan without making a kosher option, I don't find it a problem. I'd sort of rather they not make a whole After School Special episode and just have his faith leak through instead. Are the other kids talking about their Christianity at the camp all the time? Today, a lot of Jews are assimilated--keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, that's legit. It's not so much that I think he should be talking about it all the time but that I don't know anyone who wears a Star of David, even people for whom it's really important. That may just not be the people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess to be specific, almost everyone I know is "assimilated" to the point that it is just a descriptor and not really a feeling or a set of activities most of the time. None of those people would wear a necklace. The people I know who don't fit that description (that is people who are more observant or identify more strongly) are people from whom it would come up if you spent much time with them.

    I guess I haven't known that many people who are not very observant but still have it as a big part of their identity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. (which is an attempt to explain my mistaken impression--not to say that I'm not taking your correction. I didn't want an "after-school special," though.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. no, you probably have me right. I guess that I didn't associate identifying-without-being-religious, or being Reform, with wearing a Star of David or something else that would visibly indicate you're Jewish. But that's probably more me just being less aware of how different people express their Jewish identity (but for some reason deciding to talk about it on the Internet anyway, and now feeling embarrassed).

    I slept for two hours last night and was going to take a nap but I just watched 3 episodes of Huge instead. So sad. I'll probably be done by the time I go to bed tonight (I'm on 1x07 now).

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to be embarrassed. :)

    Hope you're enjoying the rest of the series--looking forward to more blog posts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually already finished it. I love everyone (except Ian except in one episode). I wish Nikki Blonksy was a little younger and could be in the movie version of the Runaways comics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting casting idea. Of course, I suspect that they will, in usual Hollywood fashion, pick someone to play Gert who is Hollywood-fat, not real-world fat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, sad times. It was just really striking because of the hair and clothes in Huge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet the movie won't really happen anyway. Which is okay with me because I feel like it would be disappointing.

    ReplyDelete