12 November, 2010

10a. input vs. output

(Even when you just stay on body language. In my experience it is much more likely to get rejected for your own body language/facial expression/tone--other people read you as a normal person who is sketchy/offensive, or read you as an "other" that they find undesirable, such as disabled/"weird." It actually takes a while to judge how someone else is responding to the way you move and sound--judging the way someone else moves and sounds is much faster. A lot of people with autism could drill themselves forever on how to read other people, and still would regularly get rejected because they haven't changed their own body language.)

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this series. Thank you so much. I also find this particular point relevant. I don't think I'm that bad at reading body language (or maybe I just haven't noticed), but I know I definitely *project* body language differently a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true.

    (I've been told I look "off" somehow; before I got to know the person who would become my boyfriend, and actually talked to him at any length, he assumed I had an intellectual disability. So I'm pretty sure part of the reason I am socially impaired is that I project something that tells people "Look out, this person probably has a disability!")

    ReplyDelete