03 December, 2009

best films of the 00s that I've seen according to the Onion AV Club

Adaptation
4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Brokeback Mountain
Pan's Labyrinth
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Incredibles
The Squid and the Whale
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Mulholland Drive
The Royal Tenenbaums
Spirited Away
Memento
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I really love all these movies except Brokeback Mountain, which I should probably watch again. When it came out I was really depressed and I felt sort of angry that a movie everyone was making such a big deal out of was just about gay people being lonely and hating themselves. I was really happy that Crash won the Oscar even though I know Crash isn't actually very good. I was just sick of everyone bending over backwards saying how great it was that a bunch of straight people would make a movie about gay people being miserable.

I think if I watched it now I might feel completely different, and even see it as the love story it's supposed to be. At the time I just desperately wanted to see something positive about gay people and I wasn't capable of appreciating the film objectively.

2 comments: